Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Maggie's Bread

Add caption
Peter Reinhart often talks about the transformational properties of bread.  Bread starts out as wheat, which gives up its life to become flour.  Flour, mixed with yeast and water, is transformed into dough - which has life again.  The dough, when baked gives up its life to become bread - which, some refer to as the "staff of life".  Not meaning to get all preachy here, but, it is a cool perspective on humble flour, water, yeast!
Today, though, I am realizing that bread has one more transformational property.  My daughter Maggie is learning the ancient craft of making artisan bread.  She is studying baking and pastry arts at Johnson and Whales.  Yesterday, much to my delight, Maggie shared with us two images of bread that baked in class.  Simple baguettes and rustic ciabatta.  As you can see from the photos, the bread is gorgeous.  I can't wait until she comes home and bakes some for the family.  I couldn't be more proud of her.

A month ago, I dropped off self-absorbed teenager at college.  Today, I can see that -- through the art and discipline of baking bread, the transformation of my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment