Monday, October 10, 2011

Do you twitter like a teenage girl?

Everyone from the Pope to the President to your kid sister are Twittering today.  But, let’s be honest.  All tweets are not created equal.  Personally, I prefer the transparency of my kid-sister’s tweets about the family dog, to the promotional, self-serving, insincere “twosh” (that’s a cross between the words “tosh” and “tweet”, coined here) from big brands.
It’s no secret that brands have discovered Twitter as a way to engage better with their consumers.  But, that’s the problem.  To mis-quote one of my favorite creative geniuses, Emily Soell, “I don’t want to have a relationship with my aspirin.  I just want my headache to go away.”
If you can only hear your own voice and see your own content in your tweetstream then you’ve misunderstood what you’re here for. Your followers are following you because they are hoping you will provide information relevant to them.  They’re looking for information to pass along to their friends and their own followers.
For such a simple format, there is an incredible complexity to the variety of tweets, and the metadata that go along with them. 

How would you judge your won tweet anatomy?  Do you tweet like your kid sister, or do you tweet like a corporate hack?

No comments:

Post a Comment