Friday, August 19, 2011

For My Friend Ken Beatty: The Smartest Guy I Know

Everyone knows that winning new business requires a great deal of creativity.  But sometimes, creativity comes from the most unlikely source – the data guy.

I was in a pitch once, and the Client said:  I agree with your recommendation, but I think you made a serious error in your ROI calculations.  Do you really expect me to believe that (2/10) = 2?  Prove it!

So, the Account Lead said – “No can do.  This is out of scope!”
The Media Lead said – “We can do it.  But we’ll need more budget.”  
The Creative Director said – “Well, I know it looks funny; but, technically, it’s still within brand guidelines.”  
The Strategic Planner said – “This is really strange.  But, let’s see how it plays in focus groups.”
But, the Data Analyst stood up and said – “That’s easy!”

                           (2 / 10)   = Two / Ten
“T” is common.  Hence   = wo / en

Now, “w” is the 23rd letter and “o” is the 15th.
Similarly, “e” is the 5th letter, and “n” is the 14th.
Hence,
                        (wo / en)   = (23+15) / (5+14)
                                          = (38 / 19)
                                          = 2

Analysts are never worried about what the answer is.  They will always ask, “Which answer do you want?”

That is my friend Ken.  The best data guy I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment