Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Hello, World"

When I was a kid, my mother used to listen to radio station WNEW out of New York City.  I'm dating myself here, I know - but, the salute to William B Williams as the title of my first post seemed somehow irresistible. (Pardon the corn, you'll get used to it.)  Williams was the enigmatic voice of the "Make Believe Ballroom" for like 40 years.  He is also noted for coining the name "Chairman of the Board" for Frank Sinatra.


Willie B, as he was known, combined an intimate knowledge of music with personal anecdotes to create a smooth style that captivated listeners. He developed lasting relationships with the top singers of the Great American Songbook, including Lena Horne and Nat King Cole. Early in his career, he befriended Frank Sinatra when the crooner recorded broadcasts at WNEW. On one broadcast, Williams mused that since Benny Goodman was the "King of Swing" and Duke Ellington was a duke, then Sinatra must have a title as well, suggesting "Chairman of the Board." Sinatra learned of the comment and embraced the title. Later, when interest in standards flagged, Williams persisted in playing Sinatra's music and is credited with a key role in keeping Sinatra's career afloat. Sinatra, to whom loyalty was a key virtue, never forgot Williams and lauded him to any and all who would listen.

Through the years, my life has been enriched by people like Willie B who have an extraordinary ability to paint a vivid tableau with their words. I hope that the narrative that I share with you through this blog will color your world, your business, your life in the same way.   I hope to combine my intimate knowledge of the delicate underbelly of advertising with personal anecdotes collected from working at some of the world's leading agencies.

So, stay tuned.  It may not be the Make Believe Ballroom any more, but it will be just as colorful.

2 comments:

  1. Jonathan Schwartz was edgier and Sinatra was no Como. But Thanks for the Memories on this rainy Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan Schwartz is still going strong on Sirius!

    ReplyDelete